Taiwan-Asia Exchange Foundation Postdoctoral Research Fellowships
1. To foster international exchange and collaborations with international scholars, to strengthen research talents, to expand research publications on specific fields, to improve the visibility of the New Southbound Policy on international platforms, and to share the core ideas and key accomplishments of Taiwan’s regional policies, the TAEF has stipulated the following guidelines:
2. Qualifications for postdoctoral research fellowships include non-Taiwanese citizens who obtained doctoral degree in the past five years with significant academic performance and dynamic international networks in the research field of New Southbound Policy.
3. Rights and obligations
A. For the duration of the fellowship, TAEF will assist in applying for the use of relevant equipment and resources.
B. Unless further stipulated, TAEF will not bear any expenses other than the grants initially agreed.
C. Postdoctoral research fellows should submit a research paper of no less than 30 pages, summarizing their representative work and its importance, and publish their research results in print. Postdoctoral research fellows are required to acknowledge the sponsors or support they have received from TAEF.
D. Postdoctoral research fellows are responsible for travel arrangements and other related matters, including quarantine arrangements and expenses.
E. In principle, set length for postdoctoral research fellows is one year, with twelve consecutive months being the norm, and the total duration must not exceed four consecutive years.
F. Any violation of Taiwan's legal regulations or TAEF's professional moral principles will result in immediate termination of the fellowship.
G. Postdoctoral research fellows shall not hold new positions without the consent of TAEF, nor shall they receive scholarships or grants set by government institutions, public and private schools, and/or other academic institutions in Taiwan while pursuing the fellowship.
4. Eligibility does not extend to those who are:
A. Taiwanese Citizens
B. Scholars who have received this Postdoctoral Research Fellowship from TAEF
5. Required materials for application:
A. Application Form (Detailed Table 1)
B. Curriculum Vitae
C. Certificate of Qualification (i.e., Accredited Diploma, Certificate of Employment); The applicants’ certificates of highest qualification earned should be verified by Taiwan’s diplomatic missions or foreign embassies and missions in Taiwan.
D. Research Proposal (Including Title, Summary, Research Schedule, and Potential Contributions)
E. Two Letters of Recommendation
F. Representative work of academic research (Including monographies, book chapters, journal articles, or Ph.D. dissertations)
6. Quota: The TAEF awards a maximum of two fellowships at a given cycle.
7. Postdoctoral Research Fellowship Award:
A. The TAEF Fellowship awards postdoctoral research fellows with a stipend per month for research and living expenses in Taiwan, according to the evaluation of our reviewers.
B. TAEF provides visiting fellows with NTD one million insurance for the duration of their fellowship.
C. In principle, the monthly stipend would range from NT$50,000 to NT$ 60,000. The actual amount of the stipend would be determined by TAEF’s annual budget.
8. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. When reviewing applications, TAEF shall consider the applicants’ qualifications, work experience, research proposal, and available resources before issuing an offer. In principle, this fellowship would be announced in the first half of the year, and the on-board date of postdoctoral research fellows would be decided according to the agreement between the Executive Director of TAEF and the postdoctoral research fellows.
9. The selection procedure is as follows:
A. The preliminary selection of the applicants will be conducted by the Executive Director and department directors of TAEF based on the submitted materials. Major criteria include academic and policy influence.
B. TAEF will form a review committee composed of scholars and experts to determine the finalists.
10. These guidelines shall be announced and implemented upon approval by TAEF’s Executive Director. The same procedure shall be applied to any future amendments.